Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tora, tora torrent

Hey, all you Bit Torrent fans out there:

CBC is considering (according to Michael Geist) releasing Canada's Next Great Prime Minister as a bit torrent the day after it's released. 

While it would be a watershed moment (the first North American broadcaster to release a show via BitTorrent), colour me unimpressed. Canada's Next Great Prime Minister? They couldn't come up with something more...interesting to release?

I am already calling foul. "According to our research, only ten people downloaded this show, meaning that BitTorrent is not a viable means of distribution."

Well, duh, nobody downloaded the show, but nobody *watched* the show, either. 

Alright, alright. Maybe a few people are watching the show. But I suspect that the BitTorrent crowd is not their target demographic. I hope to be proved wrong, but I think it is an experiment designed to fail. Why don't they BitTorrent something that people would want to watch, like...um. Hang on. No, give me a minute, I'll come up with something. Um. Like, er...

Does CBC have anything worth going through the trouble of downloading?

(Whoops. It's now official.)

Note: I love our public broadcaster. Really I do. No, don't give me that. I didn't see you traveling 3000 km to protest the cutbacks back in the early 1990s. It's just that, for all the good it does, it still hasn't figured out Episodic TV. News? Brilliant. Comedy? Love it. Da Vinci's inquest? The exception that proves the rule. 

No comments: