Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hacked, cracked, broken and pwnd

It has been said that one of the reasons that Apple doesn't get many viri is because it just isn't popular enough to be bothered with. (There is one notable exception, the Troika Virus, which has got to be the coolest thing ever.)

However, the iPhone is stupidly popular. We've seen in hacked, jaibroken and taken over in a variety of ways. But a new exploit is out there that will exhaust Safari's memory, causing it to crash. 

And?

Well, um. That's about it. Security experts say it *may* be possible to execute remote code, but not confirmed. 

So, hackers have managed to crash Safari? Big deal, Microsoft pages do that me all the time. 

Not that this shouldn't be dealt with; buffer overflow and out of memory exploits are gateways for crackers, and it's good it is being reported, and hopefully it get fixed. 

Speaking of crashes, Pages just crashed on me for the second time, and for the second time, I've lost a page worth of writing. Yes, I save every five or ten minutes, but it always seems to crash just before I hit save. Please, Apple, for my sanity as a writer, add an autosave feature....  I know that's only twice in a matter of months, where unnamed most-popular-word-processing-software-in-the-world would crash twice a day, but such stability leads to complacency, and then...gotcha!

No comments: