Thursday, April 3, 2008

We're number one!?

So.

I'm not one to indulge in speculation and rumour myself (pfft.), but I'm always willing to pass on notes from people who do. In this case, Ars Technica, who claim to have come into possession of secret Apple insider memos that show that Apple is now the number one music retailer in the states.

I'm wondering if this is like the Canadian Dollar's climb to parity and above, where much of that was driven by emotion, and now that it is #1, it will slowly sink back down. Probably not. Market forces that govern the two are completely different.

Still, I worry that Apple is a victim of its own success. Already, we have the issue of Amazon, where music companies are selling 256 kbps, drm free songs through Amazon, while not allowing Apple to sell similar quality music. Will the record companies and movie companies keep dragging their feet when it comes to Apple, hoping that someone will innovate and be a competitor?

As long as Apple at least maintains the appearance of looking out for the consumer (ie, me), I will continue to buy my music from iTunes. And that has nothing to do with the fact that the Amazon music store still isn't available in Canada. Honest.

No comments: