Friday, June 20, 2008

Cheap iPhones? Not hardly.

A couple weeks ago, Joshua over at Macgasm lamented that the new iPhone was going to be the death of the iPod Touch. 
"Would you buy a Touch knowing that for a couple more dollars you could get a phone, with 3G technology?" said he.
The trouble is, that's probably not going to be the case. If you go to www.apple.ca/store, you will see the iPhone listed, but with no price. That's issue one.
Issue two is, if you click on the iPhone, you are offered a link to find out "where to get an iPhone", which refers you to Rogers and Fido.
Meaning that in all likelyhood, you're not going to be able to buy an iPhone without signing up for the cell service. 
Now, if the leaked memo quoted elsewhere is accurate, you'll only be able to sign up for a three year plan. And, if the rate plans are accurate (and again, this is speculation), then the cost of owning an iPhone is actually over $3000 over three years. 
My iPod touch? Cost $299 (I got it on sale.) Cost of ownership over three years, minus any media I might choose to put on it? $299. 
Right. Well, since a few dollars more is $3000, I think I'll stick with the Touch, especially since I am still outside of Rogers' coverage area.
Of course, these numbers are still speculative. I'll do a final cost analysis once the real numbers are out. If I remember. 


No comments: