Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Drobo goes big

I'm a big fan of Drobo. Despite the proprietary nature of their system, I like the fact that it is drag and drop redundancy.

However, I am already looking at having to upscale my drives. And if I do manage to get my hands on that 5D Mk II I've been dreaming about, the drives will fill up even faster.

Well, Drobo has gone big with their new Drobo Pro, with twice the space and built in Gigabit ethernet.

Yes, it's still expensive for what basically amounts to a box for drives, and yes, I could do the same thing with a bunch of external drives. But I tried that. It didn't work. Not because of the way they worked, but because of the way I worked. The Drobo works, because it is dead simple. I don't have to change anything about the way I work.

Will I be getting one of these? Not right away. Despite the fact that my current Drobo is v. 1, it still is fine for the amount of pressure I put on it, at least for the next six to 12 months. But in a year or so, it's nice to know that I have this option. And then my current Drobo can go off-site, and maybe I can figure out a way to sync the two over the internet. Then I'd be Alex Lindsay cool....

No comments: